Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Diary of an Unemployed Wanderer, Part 9


October 14, 2012

I feel like I’m in hiding.
I didn’t post last week.  Not because I was running from the law, and not because I was in fear for my life.  I was somewhere along the Mississippi river, and it was cold.  I’ve been walking a lot more since it’s way too cold to fly very high around populated areas.  And I’ve still had a ton of time to practice flying.  Unfortunately, to practice it I’m finding I have to stay more and more not just under the radar, but completely out of the radar’s scope.  I hadn’t seen someone for three days before I almost smacked my face on this truck stop.  Hadn’t looked where I was going, and I hadn’t seen a wifi station this far west for about ten days.
People don’t realize how unpopulated America really is.  We think of the crowds of New York, Chicago, L.A. and D.C., and we think this entire country is just fit to burst apart at the seams.  But there are whole seas of grass and forest that are populated only by an asphalt road and the wildlife that haven’t seen a man in years.  I can hide, I can be away from anyone, simply because America is freaking huge.
I’ve never been here before.   I might have to buy a compass or something…what am I talking about?  I’m either turning and going south for the winter or using the rest of my cash to hunker down in some cabin or other.  I still have no clue.  Do I want to experience homelessness in frost or fire?
The truckers have been here.  Simple, uncomplicated view on life.  “In front’s where I’m going, behind’s where I’ve been, and the beer is in the back.”  I’m not giving a pastoral view of truckers, they also have some pretty ignorant views of…well, everything.  But I think when you look at a person, you’ve got to acknowledge what they are, not despair at what they’re not.
This is way too philosophical for a truck stop.  Comes from a deprivation of a classroom I suppose.  I miss the students.  I miss the teachers.  Not just the actual students and teachers I was with, but the archetypes.  The students, bright-eyed and eager; the teachers, just enjoying their jobs.  I know it’s not always like that, but just being there does inspire.
…maybe I should find a school and lecture.  I’m going to need an ID… 

No comments:

Post a Comment