Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Cooperation isn't Surrender


“I have learned two things from politics…nobody is right all the time, and a broken clock is right twice a day.”  Bill Clinton at the Democratic National Convention spelled out the foundation for politics, and the reason it is so fractured right now.  As the Presidential Election comes closer and closer, I am struck more and more by the politics of hate.
I go on tirades, and I say terrible things.  I look at political pundits who I believe in my heart are lying through their teeth, and the first words out of my mouth are “You’re not allowed to do that.”  but again and again I find ladies and gentlemen from either parties say things that are untrue, can easily be checked, and yet continue to hold the lie up as if it were truth.
Right now there is an ad from the Romney campaign condemning President Obama’s Welfare plans, saying that the President is trying to get rid of the work requirement.  When the ad was proven to be false by independent organizations, the campaign was asked to remove the ad.  From one of the political movers in the Romney campaign, “We’re not going to have our campaign defined by fact-checkers.”  Defined by fact-checkers?  They are proven to be lying on national television.
This comes once again to the theory of cooperation.  The filibuster has been used in the 110th senate more than any congress in history, because legislation is not the most important goal for politics right now.  It is deciding whether or not President Obama will be a one-term president.
I love President Obama, and I think he has done a fantastic job.  Please disagree with me, and I will happily debate the issues with you (it may get heated, but all’s fun in politics and good humor).  But the goal of any party cannot be the destruction of another’s candidacy.  It is to uphold the values of your constituency, to promote the progression of America, and defend the ideals you hold within your heart.
Cooperation has been taught to every individual in this country since the second grade.  Ever since your teacher plucked the fingerpaints out of your hands as you squabbled with your classmate, the first words out of her mouth were “Share”.  We all have ideas about this country, how to better it, how to protect it, how to make this country a beacon for the world stage.  But most importantly, we all live in this country.  Let us all share it, not scream out when our turn has been taken away.

“Our best thoughts come from others”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment