Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Diary of an Unemployed Wanderer, Part 7


September 24, 2012

A day late and a dollar short.
That’s not completely true.  I’ve got dollars, tons of them actually.  I’m more a day late and…well, a house short.  Yesterday kind of sucked.
Couldn’t fly because of rain.  I need to invest in some rainwear, and then just pack myself down in clothing to prevent a chill.  Of course, that would go into my food fund, and that’s already starting to show a ‘healthy’ dip.  One benefit of having an actual house…having an actual stove.  I just spent tonight just trying to get a fire going, the natural way.  Sticks, stones and prayers, that’s all the natural way is.  Stole some gasoline and a match, kicked the natural way’s ass all the way up the column of flame that shot out.
Don’t get me wrong, I love nature.  If I didn’t, wandering around would be terrible.  But I like the trees, and the nice chill that comes in at dark.  I’m so glad when I cut out that I decided to grab all my warm clothes and some undershirts more for just…well, because.  And it’s getting colder, I can definitely feel it.  I now know why birds fly south for the winter.  I knew it was so they don’t freeze their tail-feathers off, but not having the guarantee of a bed, you understand it a lot more.  Especially after last night.
Last night was cold.  And wet.  And thunderstorm-y.  type of thunderstorm where I found myself a cave in the Appalachians a few hundred yards up a sheer cliff face and just hid there.  I wasn’t getting out, and I had no intent to try my luck against fate.  I just sat there and relaxed.  While freezing.  Relaxing and freezing really don’t go hand in hand.
 Storm broke at about ten this morning, and I had had enough.  Packed my wet clothes, pointed my way south and just kept going till I found heat and people.  God do I love heat and people.  Right now I’m at a truck stop (with an internet café…please don’t ask, I’m not entirely sure myself).  I can tell you right now, have fun with nature.  Be out there in the woods, and just let go of restraint.  But hang onto your cell phone and your car keys.
As for me, while last night sucked, I’m betting this week will turn around.  I honestly do think…
A biker gang walked in.  Wonder if I could beat them in a race?

No comments:

Post a Comment