Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Diary of an Unemployed Wanderer, part 5


September 9, 2012

I’m not in jail.
I’m not at home, but I’m not in jail.  It’s a weird series of emotions that I’m in right now.  On the one hand, I’m torn from…everything.  I am gone from my house, the people I knew, the food that I felt so familiar with.  In that sense I’m bereft.  But at the same time, I’m actually accepting some of it.  I’m not in jail awaiting a trial I know I’d surely lose.  I’m not being hounded by a mob of reporters anymore, with my face plastered on the six o’clock news.  Best of all, I’m alive.  And I wasn’t so sure of that last week.
I did try to rob that bank.  I thought I had it all planned out.  During the day, it’s amazing how many people go up on a roof to smoke.  They don’t look around the roof, they don’t try to spot anything unusual, just need a dose of nicotine, and then it’s a piece of gum and leave.  I just had to make sure the door didn’t close, and put some tape on the lock.  Went back, all dressed in black, and ready to make some money.  Or steal it, I don’t know what the phrase is…
Anyway, I’m getting ready, all set up to walk in, when I hear this screeching noise.  It’s tires, and I turn around to see this minivan start screaming down the street.  I know, my first thought was that I finally saw a minivan go over 55, but it’s…it’s…it wasn’t right.  The van was fishtailing, driving all over the place, and oh, my, God…someone’s driving a minivan wasted.  Again, another first for me.
I step to the edge of the roof, hoping to get a good look, and I see this father just slamming down a bottle of liquor.  I mean, all windows are down, I’m pretty sure if I were on the street I could smell the Russian oozing out of him.  And that’s fine by me.  you know, whatever man, you want to get drunk and drive, just don’t do it around my house.  Or what used to be my house.  I’ll read about you in the arrest reports later.
He starts going past me as I’m turning and all of a sudden I hear another scream.  Another quick look, and he’s got, you know, a child in there.  Backseat, and the only smart thing this bastard has done was put his little toddler in a kid seat and strapped her in.  and he’s getting faster.
I’m not a superhero, so get that out of your mind.  I’m not planning on donning tights and a cape and zooming around the night sky stopping robberies.  That’s a great way for me to get shot.  And I was about to commit a robbery so I could, you know, sympathize.  But there’s some innate human-ness…thing, that won’t just let a child get hurt.  There’s something about the scream of a child that turns a bastard into a saint.  I jump off the roof and I’m soaring after that minivan.  Slide up alongside the car, undo the child safety belt, and grab her right out of the car.  The guy was so drunk he didn’t even see me.
I walked her over to the nearest police station, and gave the plates.  Best thing I did was tell them if he got shot, he was probably so drunk he’d laugh.  I hope he finds some nice people in prison.
And then I robbed the bank.  Took about fifty thousand dollars, and just left.  I have a couple days’ worth of clothes and the money in a duffel bag.  I’m at an internet café, and I don’t know what the hell I’m doing.
Do those actions cancel each other out?  I mean, it’s a big bank, they have insurance, they’ll be covered, right?  On the other hand, what did that little kid have?  The hope that plastic would hold up to a crash at sixty miles an hour plus.  I think the balance there is a little in my favor.
I’m going to walk around for awhile.  Maybe find the odd job, maybe just try and get my head straight on what happened last month.  All I know is, I’m different.  And that’s okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment