Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Diary of an Unemployed Wanderer, Part 3


August 26, 2012

Dear Journal,
School starts tomorrow.  Kids are going to be in school, in my…in the classroom, and I won’t be there.  I guess it’s just hitting me now that I am unemployed, that my career as a teacher just isn’t happening.
The week has been…okay.  That stupid article from last week was only a distraction.  Went to my hearing, Manny was really just understanding about everything.  He helped me with the charges, and as you can see, I’m out of jail.  My account is five thousand dollars lighter thanks to a fine, but I’m out of jail.  And out of work.
I walked out of the courtroom, and who was there, but Kelly.  God, Kelly.  I hate her so much because she is right about so many things.  I know I’ve been, well, hating her for the last few weeks, but the look on her face just floored me.  She was there, she was at the court, to see me.
I said hey, we sort of stumbled our way through how everything was going, and I suggested a lunch to celebrate me not being in handcuffs.  She agreed, and we started to talk.
Maybe this will make more sense if I describe Kelly.  Kelly Bentz was my old boss, and became the first woman to become principal at the high school, at the age of forty-two.  No, there is absolutely nothing sexual there.  She’s forty-two, I’m twenty-eight.  She’s just fantastic, a brilliant mind and a heart that’s only for the kids.  Which is why she’s not giving me my job back.
I tried to explain, and realized I couldn’t.  I was out cold for hours, missed everything, and I couldn’t even give a reason.  For all she knew I was getting high or drunk or even gambling away my livelihood.  She was a bit more comforting than I expected, was even willing to help me compile my resume, but the message was clear.  I’m not going to be in school.
After that, the meeting became awkward.  I just wanted out, she wanted to be gone, but neither of us wanted to be rude.  When the waitress came by with the check, Kelly offered to pay, and I had to leave.  I was abrupt, but I didn’t want her to think I was helpless.  So I just flew away.
No, she didn’t see me.  That’s probably the only thing that I’ve been careful about the past couple weeks.  But I don’t want anyone to see me, take a video, and suddenly I’m the freak on Youtube with federal agents knocking on my door.  So I take off from the woods, or from skyscraper roofs, and I just go.
It’s a feeling, to fly.  It starts straight in the legs, the feeling of the wind between my ankles, and it just keeps going.  Suddenly I feel like I’m being wrapped up in a shell of air, whipping me around yet still in full control.  I can feel the nothingness of air, and yet nothingness is so powerful.
I’m actually writing this on top of the school roof.  The school isn’t tall, only three stories, and this is probably a very stupid idea.  But until tomorrow, until the new year officially starts, I can still trick myself.  I can pretend that I’m just grabbing a bite, taking in the view from my school.  I’m delusional, and I know it’s a dream.  Once those kids walk in and sit down in their seats, I know it’s lost.  The man at the board won’t be me, they won’t be reading Shakespeare from me.  I’m unemployed.
I’ve been out of work for two weeks now.  And though I haven’t been jailed ever, I now have solicitation on my record.  No one is going to hire me.  I’m going to end up homeless unless I do something drastic.
I’m thinking about robbing a bank or something…

No comments:

Post a Comment