Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Role of Government

So since this is my first weekend, I thought I'd kick it off with a showing of my personal views, especially in an election year.  As it will always be, I open the floor to a fantastic debate!

Role of Government

Nobody enjoys paying taxes.  The primary objective of taxes, are to fund the government’s projects.  As the Republican nominees for presidency start to debate, the ideals of government, and its appropriate size are brought to the forefront of thought.  Nearly all potential candidates from the Republican side state that taxes are already too high.  The role of government is to ensure domestic tranquility, enforcing the laws, both ethical and moral.  To do this, does not require massive taxes.  The smaller the government involvement, the better the country will be.
There are several benefits to this strategy.  There is always going to be more money in the pocket of the individual.  Less taxes facilitates a capitalist society, as more and more people are able to invest their money in their business ventures.  And all the extra money can go wherever the individual wants, with no restraints from the government.  Less taxes, equals more money.
But more money for whom?  Over the past decades, the gap between the wealthy and the poor has been growing ever wider.  For the first time in American history, we have the developments of an aristocracy.  The Kennedys, the Rockefellers, and the men of Wall Street and big business command most of the wealth, while the middle and lower classes are finding less and less wealth for survival.
More importantly, is the lack of public options.  The educational system is failing for lack of funds.  America, despite claiming to be the pinnacle of civilized countries, is one of the few countries without a comprehensive health care program provided for all citizenry.  Public transit is well and good, but not nearly as efficient as it can be.  The government’s lack of funds prevents any sort of aid for the working class.
With taxes come public options for the populace.  A public health care option, which forces private corporations to compete with a system designed by the people, for the people.  Government jobs can be funded that are designed for the sole purpose of improving the country, whether through installation of more energy efficient power systems, or rebuilding roads and public structures.  A public educational system that sets the standard for the world, not just the country.  All these things are possible, if people are willing and able to pay.
Many fight the idea of big government, because of the strain it will put on them personally.  To this, I ask the question: Will your salary be over ten million dollars a year?  These are who I wish to increase taxes upon.  Men and women who can not only survive under increased taxes, but still be recognized as the wealthiest people in America.  These people will be taxed, because the money is needed to fight disease, poverty, and illiteracy.
Personally, I dream of being a millionaire.  I dream of having the sort of salary where I could walk into any store in the country and tell the manager I’m bored, so I’ll be purchasing the store.  And with this salary, I want the badge of honor that is higher taxes.  I would publicize my taxes, let it be known around the world that I was paying more than my fair share, I was improving the country.  I had proof that I was making a significant difference for the entire country.  I was affecting change, and all because I filed everything on April 15th.
Big government seems intimidating.  It watches over the people, judging misdoings, enacting laws that restrict behavior, taking away money.  But it also solves the problems of economics, puts away the criminals of society, and strives constantly, for the betterment of the country.  I am a liberal, and I want more taxes, please.


"Taxes are paid in the sweat of every man who labors" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Full Disclosure:  My deep personal friend and often-time co-author The Wayward Wordslinger did, in fact, edit this previously.  I invite you all to check out his personal blog on the entertainment industry and fun facts (like Joss Whedon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment