Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

5 Questions, Your Answers


There are questions every day.  Some are simple, such as “Is it a right or left turn to get to school?”  Others, not so much.  “What’s better for me, a movie ticket to see the Avengers or the perfect Reuben?”  Difficult choices, as you can easily see.
I think about the tougher questions, and try to puzzle them out.  The usual reason why is I have too much free time on my car rides home and everything random usually filters into my head, but there are other reasons.  I question what is right for me, my school, even the country.  So I’ve got five questions here that I’ve been puzzling over, and hopefully have answered to a degree.
1.    “Do you trust people enough to give them more freedom?”
This one’s a toughie for me.  As I’ve said, I’m an unabashed liberal all the way.  I believe that individuals have to choose for themselves what’s right for them, and given enough time and guidance, human beings will generally make the right choice.  I believe it, but I doubt this more in practice on a grander scale.  When human beings are separated from each other, until the point where we don’t even recognize what we are paying money for (i.e., taxes), we are generally mistrusting of where our money goes.  Instead of putting money towards the common good, we invest in ourselves, putting our funds in bank accounts instead of public projects.  So in answer, I believe in this person, but I think we don’t need more freedom from taxes.
2.    “Entertain or Educate our Youth, can we do it at the same time?”
I find this question easy.  After four years of high school, four years of college, and now being back in the classroom as a teacher, I can definitely affirm that we can do both.  Are there areas of learning that can seem boring?  Yes, and they need to be taught.  But overall the goal of teaching should be making the connections between education and entertainment to the student.  If a student is enjoying their work, then the achievement is all the more precious for them.  It may have been difficult, but education must always be relatable and intriguing for students to be engaged.
3.    “Is there a God?”
Yes.  Next question?

I come from a line of faith.  Christianity is all I’ve ever known, and after all my time and (continuing) adolescence, I still believe in Christ, God and the power of faith.  And it is against reason.  Faith is supposed to be against reason.  If it could be quantified, if humans could convince each other of its validity, then religion is not a belief, but an argument and point of persuasion.  Faith combines the surety of reason with the fluidity of the heart and soul.  Believe, don’t know, that there is a God.
4.    “What are you willing to give up for others?”
Ouch.  Um…maybe my room, if I could get a bed elsewhere?  I don’t want to give up my house, I don’t want to give up my stuff.  Is that what I will need to do to help others?  I will easily give up my time to help others, as well as anything I can personally do.  But I recognize that I have possessions, that I have come from a place of wealth.  I may not have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but I certainly have never had to suffer the way others have.  I don’t know how to deal with this, and what I would have to give up to help others in a meaningful way, or even what my line is.  What won’t I do?  What will I do?  That’s still a question for me.
5.    “Who would win in a fight, Batman or Superman?”
Batman, hands down.  He rocks; more intelligent, better costume, more money, better villains, ruthlessly pragmatic, and the Nolan movies have kicked serious butt.  Superman…I like reading about him most when it’s proven that he can be beaten.  Sorry Superfans, but Batman would take this one no sweat.

So that’s my thoughts on some serious (And not so much) questions.  Your response?

No comments:

Post a Comment